Most of the outer prongs holding in the diamonds were very worn.
The channel for the bagguttes also needed attention.
The 4 prongs holding in the emerald were thin and worn.
I removed the emerald and completely removed the center prongs so I could work on the retipping the diamonds with out fear of damaging the center stone.
The picture above shows all the rebuilt prongs, repaired channel and 4 new wires welded in for the center stone.
As you can see, the prongs are all beefy and the ring looks like new.
The six prong peg head was in relatively good shape except for two prong tips were completely sheared off. I had concerns that the diamond was enhanced. Any retipping with a torch could potentially damage the fill material. I opted to use the laser. I fashioned the end of a 14k white gold wire to an angle so the diamond’s crown facet and wire would be in full contact. If I were to weld the wire straight up and use pliers to bend the prong in place to secure the stone, I believe that the new tip would break off now or later if stressed. It seems that weld joints are not in the annealed state and tend to be a bit more acceptable to breakage if worked.
The new tips were filed and shaped with a cup burr to match the others and the ring was refinished.
It’s always a good day when you set a big stone and have no problems. I mean, the unthinkable: chipping the stone as you pull down the prongs with the pliers. I only ask what the stone is worth AFTER I am done. Today was very good that I didn’t ask until after. 😉