It is hard to play around and make jewelry for the showcase when there are so many custom jobs and repairs on your plate. I have been working a little here and a little there on this ring. I made this ring in fifteen minute intervals for a month. I finally finished it today. It has fifteen 1.0mm round full cut diamonds on a halo that rests on the finger. The 1.10 carat diamond is high above it.
I always like working with unusual shaped stones. The end result can seem more “custom” then a piece with, say, a 7.0mm calibrated round stone. This simple design, symmetrical ring uses a tapered fantasy cut rhodolite garnet. It screams “custom” because mounting was obviously made specifically for that stone. The square shank continues that one-of-a-kind feel. The ring also contains six channel princess cut diamonds.
For this engagement ring I carved and cast it in 3 pieces so I could polish each piece individually before assembling. Whereas, all the nooks and crannies were able to be cleaned up. The center princess cut and side princess cut diamonds were channel set and the ring given a final polish.
Sorry, I did not get a good finished picture of the ring in a controlled light box.
The customer wanted us to remake his favorite yellow and white gold ring in all white gold. To save him some money, I suggested that we cut off the top plate of the existing ring and use it in the new ring since the setting was performed well and it was still in good shape. I carved a wax around the diamond encrusted plate. We cast it in super white 14K gold and soldered the plate on top. Turned out great.
I have a series of drummer and guitarist rings that I have created for musicians. They can be seen at MusicianRings.com. As a drummer myself, I have really enjoyed creating the drum rings. I wanted to show off a bit with a higher level of detail, complexity and realism. I carved the wax “shell” and “rims” and cast them in yellow and white golds to best show contrast of the parts. They were sanded and soldered together. I hand fabricated the “lugs” from a slab of white gold and laser welded them in place. I hand florentine the “shell” in a random pattern to give a natural wood grain look and feel. Then I drilled holes in the rim and laser welded on the sixteen “tension rod” wires.
If you have any questions about having a ring made for you, contact me at the store, or visit the website for more details.
This project was to make a custom halo for a cushion cut diamond and add it to an existing mounting. First, the existing gallery of the ring was removed to make way for the new top. A wax was carved to house the beautiful main diamond and the side melee diamonds. After casting it was fitted up with bead set diamonds and soldered in place on the prepared mounting. The center stone was set and the piece polished.
Kudos to Fred on all the fine work he did on this one.
Greg asked me to make him an initial wedding band. We played around with a few ideas. For this project we ordered die struck letters from Stuller in his, hers and their two children’s initials. I carved a nice solid, comfort fit band in wax and cast it in super white 14k gold with a channel to accept the letters. I domed the initials on the shank bender tool and soldered them in place. That gave us crisp lettering with out having to go the more expensive CAD-CAM wax route.
She has a thing for orange. She was sure she wanted orange fire opal for her center stone in her engagement ring. However, it is not a great stone for everyday ware. It is quite soft. So, I introduced her to padparadscha sapphire. (Lab created). It has a great intense orange color and is 9 on the mohs scale and it would be a fully faceted stone. I drew up some designs based on her wish list. We custom made a stunning ring with two diamonds flanking the 1/2 bezel set padparadscha in 14k super white gold. We incorporated the same orange stones in his wedding band. It made for a wonderful wedding set in orange.
I was commissioned to do a braided platinum wedding band to match an existing engagement ring. I did some practice mock ups using silver wire, so I could get the tightness right to match the existing braid. Then I moved on the expensive material. To braid metal, you must have extra length to have the leverage to bend the wire at the end. I ended up with some expensive pieces of bent up platinum wire that was probably headed to the scrap bin for refining. But instead I ended up making this fun ring by randomly intertwining the wire and adding a few bezels with diamonds and a bezel set tanzanite, all out of the “wasted” wire.
This was one of my favorite rings that I made for the show case. I started with a really cool sea foam stone that I had to buy it when I saw it. It was a green beryl. As a side note, aquamarine, morganite and emerald are also in the beryl family. Even though this stone is green, it does not have the same mineral makeup of emerald to call it emerald. Pure beryl is clear, it is the “impurities” of additional chemicals that give it it’s different colors.
I made it in a three piece casting so I could really polish up the inside places before assembling it. I wanted to have the prongs more of a design element then just the function of securing the stone. The down side is trying to move the thick prongs to tighten the stone. We also made in it super white gold alloy that is considerably harder then yellow gold or typical white gold alloys. Since it was an expensive stone that is not very tough (7.5 MOHs scale) and it tends to cleve, I said a prayer before hammering the prongs down on the stone. Pliers were not going to move these beefy prongs.